Benefits and Drawbacks of Clear Braces
Especially popular among young adults, Invisalign provides an attractive alternative to unsightly metal braces. While they’re not recommended for complex cases, clear aligners can gradually straighten crooked teeth over time, and they usually do it with less aggravation than traditional braces.
While clear braces have many huge benefits, they have some drawbacks as well. So, before you schedule your appointment with Dr. Hauser at Lakefront Family Dentistry at (951) 244-9495 to talk about what Invisalign can do for you, take a look at the following pros and cons associated with clear dental aligners.
Benefits of Invisalign Braces
As mentioned, there are plenty of benefits associated with clear aligners. However, they must be worn as directed. The following are just some of the benefits of clear braces:
• They are clear. Unlike traditional metal braces, clear aligners are virtually undetectable, meaning other people can’t see them. For this reason, this product is especially popular among young adults who have waited until later in life to get braces.
• Invisalign braces are more comfortable than traditional braces. While clear aligners do cause some discomfort, it pales in comparison to metal braces, which can cut and gouge into the soft tissues of the mouth.
• They are removable, which makes it easier to maintain oral hygiene. Additionally, people with invisible braces can remove them at meal time, which virtually eliminates diet restrictions, like those associated with metal braces.
• Invisible braces make it possible to receive whitening treatments during the alignment process. This is not possible with traditional braces since part of the equipment is cemented to the teeth.
Drawbacks of See-Through Braces
While there are many benefits associated with this product, there are some disadvantages as well, such as the following:
• See-through braces can’t straighten badly misaligned teeth. People who attempt to use clear braces despite having complicated issues usually have to switch to conventional braces due to failure of the treatment. Fortunately, Dr. Hauser can tell you if you’re a viable candidate during your consultation.
• Clear braces must be worn as instructed or they won’t work. Normally, braces are worn constantly over a time period ranging between 3 to 18 months. They are only allowed to be removed while the patient is eating or brushing their teeth.
• Patients must return to the dentist every few weeks to receive the next aligner in the series, which can get costly. For this reason, invisible braces are more expensive than conventional braces.
• Aligners must be removed before eating, which can get tiresome. This is especially true if the patient likes to eat out a lot. Patients usually end up going to the restroom at least two times during their outing to see to their braces.
Anyone considering invisible braces should weigh the benefits against the drawbacks and decide if the solution is right for their individual circumstances. Those who are unsure should seek guidance and advice from Invisalign expert, Dr. Hauser at Lakefront Family Dentistry. If you’ve always wondered what clear braces could do for your smile, call (951) 244-9495 or go online to make your appointment today.