Why Dentists Love to Perform Cosmetic Dentistry Using Advanced Laser Treatment
While they are relatively new to the field of dentistry, lasers have quickly revolutionized the way that dentists perform certain procedures, especially those involving cosmetic surgery. The Odyssey Soft Tissue Diode Laser has many applications, but is most often used – at least in this office – to contour gum tissue, remove gum abnormalities and reduce puffiness in the soft tissues.
Since a relatively small percentage of cosmetic dentists contour with a soft tissue laser, you owe it to yourself to choose an office that specializes in this treatment. To make an appointment with Dr. Hauser, a laser specialist at Lakefront Family Dentistry call (951) 244-9495 or go online today.
Benefits of Doing Cosmetic Dentistry Using Advanced Laser Treatment
As mentioned, soft tissue lasers are used to contour gums and other soft tissue after or during cosmetic dental procedures. Additionally, lasers are often used to remove puffiness and abnormalities of the gum tissue after the removal of dental devices, such as braces.
Following are several benefits of using this technology during cosmetic dentistry:
The laser can easily remove gum tissue that is protruding over or covering a tooth. This allows for easy and simple placement of veneers and other ceramic restoratives.
Lasers also eliminate the need for packing cord – a cord dentists use to retract gums and hold them back and out of the way during certain procedures, such as placing veneers.
Lasers are preferable over other forms of contouring because they remove and vaporize the soft tissue with less trauma, resulting in faster healing and recovery times.
Other Uses for Dental Laser Technology
Dental lasers have a lot of other practical applications as well. Not only can they be used to treat periodontal pockets in advanced cases of gum disease, they can also do the following:
- Crown Lengthening – In this procedure, the gums are cut back and reshaped prior to crown placement, which provides a stronger foundation for the crown.
- Create Even Smile – In patients with bulging, protruding or uneven gums, the laser is used to contour the gums and create an even, defined toothy smile.
- Laser Frenectomy – In children who are tongue-tied, the frenula, the muscle located under the tongue, can be cut or loosened with the laser.
- Removal of Soft Tissue Folds – Gum folds caused by ill-fitting dentures may also be removed with a soft tissue laser.
- Sleep Apnea Surgery – Some soft tissues of the throat, including the uvula, can be removed with the laser, thus improving sleep apnea.
- Cold Sore and Tumor Removal – The laser may be used to remove cold sores and benign tumors or growths as well.
As you can see, there are many wonderful uses for the soft tissue diode laser. If you’re wondering what dental laser technology can do for your smile, call Lakefront Family Dentistry at (951)244-9495 to make an appointment with Dr. Hauser. You Can also Review the Website Right Now to Learn More About Our Services or Schedule an Appointment.