What Is CEREC Tooth Restoration?
Developed in the early 1980s, CEREC – Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics – is a revolutionary form of cosmetic dentistry that utilizes CAD/CAM to streamline cosmetic dentistry, making it possible for patients to get veneers, inlays, onlays and crowns in a single visit.
Without CEREC, patients who need restoration services have to progress through a series of appointments while waiting for customized ceramic veneers to be constructed in a lab. With CEREC, all the work is done in office over the course of a single visit, meaning patients can leave the same day with their brilliant new smile.
An expert in CEREC dentistry, Dr. Hauser at Lakefront Family Dentistry transforms teeth using state-of-the-art CAD/CAM technology. If you’ve been thinking about cosmetic dentistry, you owe it to yourself to call Lakefront Family Dentistry at (951) 244-9495 to make an appointment for a consultation.
How CEREC Tooth Restoration Works
As mentioned, CEREC – the only system of its kind – makes one-visit tooth restoration possible. Each appointment takes approximately 1 to 2 hours, depending on the amount and complexity of work needed. Since each case is unique, no two appointments are exactly the same.
However, the general steps involved with CEREC dentistry include:
1. After consulting with the patient and discussing tooth restoration options, the dentist takes optical impressions of the teeth using a special 3D camera.
2. The pictures are then sent to a computer where specialized software designs the ceramic pieces needed for restoration.
3. Next, the designs are forwarded to an in-office milling machine where it takes this state-of-the-art machine approximately 20 minutes to make the pieces.
4. Finally, the dentist fits, polishes and bonds the ceramic restorations into place.
Benefits of CEREC Tooth Restoration
In addition to speed and convenience, there are many benefits associated with the CEREC system.
The following are just a few.
• Ceramic restorations are safe and durable. In the past, restorations were made with gold, amalgam or other metals, which are not as safe, healthy and durable as ceramic materials.
• More teeth can be saved and restored with this system than with other systems. Due to the manner in which they are bonded, CEREC inlays and onlays can be applied to small amounts of remaining tooth structure. This means that teeth that would have otherwise been pulled can be saved with this system.
• With this system, there is no need for temporary fixes, such as temporary crowns, between visits. Since only one visit is needed, temporary fixes are not needed and patients spend less time in the chair overall.
Since there are so many benefits associated with digital ceramic tooth restoration, most people prefer it over other methods. Additionally, ceramic restorations remain beautiful and durable for up to 20 years.
If you want to improve your smile, make an appointment with Dr. Hauser at Lakefront Family Dentistry by calling the office at (951) 244-9495 or going online today. During your appointment, Dr. Hauser will explain what CEREC dentistry can do for you and your smile and answer any questions you may have.